Thursday, March 20, 2008

Turning Soup into Light and Hope

Pounds of roast beef

Pounds of carrots, onions, celery, potatoes.

Cans and cans of diced tomatoes.

12 burners filled with large pots of boiling water.

Well this isn't a math problem and I'm not going to ask you how many quarts of soup this can make - I'm going to tell you! Yesterday I made (moreso, my mother and father!, with my help) about 110 quarts of beef vegetable soup. My goal was to raise money to support the children of San Salvador that I spent time with this summer. There is an amazing organization called the Hope House that serves a homeless community. A volunteer psychologist comes to work with street children there but the building is without electricity.

The amazingly generous, loving, and supportive people of my home church community stood behind me and so far we have sold 134 quarts of soup (some to be delivered at a later time!) and raised another $200-300 in additional support and donations! Along with a grant from Thrivent Lutheran we will have raise at least $1000 for the Hope House! Don't listen when people say everything in this world is corrupt. There are amazing people who are willing and eager to support just causes! Thank you to my church family at home - and kids in El Salvador - get ready!


My awesome mom working hard -
she was the woman behind the success!