Thursday, March 20, 2008

Why you got salad on your sandwich?

Friday I had the opportunity to take a few kids to Wendy's as a reward for working hard in school. Usually these trips end up being a bigger reward to me than the kids - but I'm not sure!

After deliberating in line about what they would get, each of the three decided on chicken nuggets, fries, and a coke. I ordered a chicken sandwich and then we headed back to school to eat lunch. As we were sitting and eating conversation turned to my sandwich. "Whatchu eating Miss?" asked the one boy. "Chicken sandwhich," I replied. "What's that stuff on it?" "Oh I know," chimed another boy. "The green stuff is lettuce and the red is...um....potatoe, Miss?" "Do you mean tomatoe?" "Oh yeah, yeah...tomatoe," the student quickly corrected himself. "You got SALAD? on your sandwich? Why you got salad on your sandwich Miss?" asked the student who originally questioned what I was eating.

While I was smiling and even laughed a bit through this conversation a few things struck me...
1. They only associate lettuce and tomatoes with salad, and apparently rarely eat it.
2. They mistook tomatoe for potatoe.
I love these guys and it was one of the best lunches I've had this year. I spent much of the time smiling behind my soda or sandwich, enjoying the fun they had in going to Wendy's and then eating lunch "with a teacher." Praise God for these little moments to hang out with them and to treat them to something special! Pray these kids will continue to work hard and succeed in school this year! It's push time! We've only got 3.5 months left!