Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Mouse in the House

So if you know me, you know I HATE mice!  You would think that 3 years living in Philly rowhouses has cured that - but alas, you are wrong!  

Tonight I came home to an empty house (of course!) and was greeted with the little tail of a mouse sticking out from our orange corner cupboard in the kitchen.  Mind you this happened as I was heating up my dinner and running around the house.  I go into "freak out" mode and start calling anyone and everyone.  My dad laughes as he tells me to get a broom and sweep it onto a newspaper (why this doesn't occur to me before I have no idea...).  

OK!

Hang up and try that but no joke - the little tail wouldn't budge!  Kind of panicking at this point, knowing that I just need to get the guts to grab it with something...if I do it once then maybe I'll be released from this fear of mine.  

Instead, I take one last peek outside the front door to see if someone will at least come keep me company while I do this and...I see five of the neighbor kids outside.  

"Um, Eddy?  Can you do me a favor?"  

"Sure Miss, what's up?"  

"Um, I know I'm a wimp but there's a dead mouse in my kitchen.  Can one of you guys come grab it or something?"  

As they look at each other and laugh..."Sure Miss."  

So we walk into the kitchen and the one boy gets down and tries to pull it out.  "Miss, it's sticky or something."  I know, I tried to get it out with a broom!  Finally he grabs it and throws it in the trash, me telling them thank you every two steps as we walk to the door!! 

I need to work on this area....but can I count this as a way to build relationships?!  :)  I think I made a few friends tonight and I KNOW that they are spreading word around school that Ms. Minnich asked them to get a dead mouse out.  Whatever it takes huh?