Thursday, September 6, 2007

Crazy?

Well, today was the first of many times I'm sure I'll be called crazy. I was talking with a coworker today and she asked where I lived. "Just off 5th Street," I replied. "Where on 5th Street?" she asked. The response of Hunting Park and 5th didn't ease her astonishment. She continued to ask "Why do you live there? Are you crazy?"

I knew it was coming, and actually it was a pretty awesome opportunity to share a little of why I live here and why I teach here. Some think that's crazy. If it takes living on Reese Street and being considered crazy for people to really listen to why I live here then it's worth it. My prayer is that they continue to think I'm crazy. Crazy in love with these kids and their families. Crazy in love with teaching them. Crazy in love with fighting for getting these kids a just education. Crazy in love with this neighborhood. Above all, crazy in love with Jesus.