Friday, December 21, 2007

"Why can't we give you a hug here?"

my kids & our "room" in the library

One thing is certain. The saying, "You should never read a book by its cover," is so true. Today, the last day of school before "winter break," I fell speechless before my kids. One of my girls is unfortunately heading back to the school she was at before this one. She was using a fraudulent address and therefore is being kicked back. As my kids were lined up at the door I was giving them a little speech about how I'd miss them and they were to have a great break and Merry Christmas. I told the girl who was moving, "I'll give you a hug in the hall," knowing that I'd not see her again for a while, if ever. As she nodded to me, one of my boys says, "Well, why can't we give you a hug here?" Stunned I stood rethinking what I just heard, sure that I heard wrong.

October pic
I answered slowly (confused as I wasn't talking to him originally), "Well...you can give me a hug here if you want..." Meanwhile this is the boy who acts tough in the halls and in the regular ed. room. Still confused I held the door open as they filed out and then, one by one, they all gave me a hug, tough guy holding out both arms and truly hugging me. I quietly locked the door behind us and walked them outside.

As I watched them walk away I stood still, treasuring what had just happened. This boy, who so often sets the "cool" factor in the room just opened the door for each of these kids to give and receive love. Little does he know that he just revealed his vulnerability and his need for love and affection. If that's all it takes - he needn't look further.


I'm pretty sure that's the best Christmas gift I can possibly receive this year. Thanks God.