Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Paranda

5 phone calls.


2 different kids.


Three hours before Christmas caroling, or Paranda as we call it at Spirit & Truth, I got a phone call. Fifteen minutes later I got another phone call. Then another, and another, and finally one more. All of which were from two Sould Squad (Bible Study) kids who wanted to make sure I didn't forget to pick them up. So when 6:45 rolls around I head out to my car to pick these guys up. Noemy, Christina and Vanessa all clamber in and then direct me around to Anthony's house where his brother Pierre also tags along. A full carload, we finally pull up to church a few minutes early. Clearly the youngest attenders at the beginning of the night, these 5 were not intimidated. Me, I think I would've asked to go home or just walked around 
with my head down. But these 5, they walked around outside in the cold for two hours, singing the two or three words they knew of the songs we sung. The lyrics weren't much help - for various reasons (disinterest, unable to read Spanish, or on a VERY low Reading level) - yet they never complained. No, if you look closely...I'd even say they had fun!

I love how something as simple as hanging out with adults you don't know and walking around the neighborhood at night can be such a night for these guys. They continue to amaze me at how hungry they are for attention, for love, and for things to do. When I was driving them home I said how glad I was they came out. The reply: "Miss, come on, it's not like we had anything else to do...we'd do anything!" God continually blesses me through them. I wonder if they know how much God is using each of them.

Pray that they hear the words of the songs we sang and the words of love God speaks to them.