Monday, November 19, 2007

Thank you Mr. Panksy?

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I just wanted to share a few things I am thankful for...especially since lately I've only carried on about the horrible state of public education and the city of Philadelphia...

1. I am thankful for my student who has multiple physical and mental handicaps, who, when overhearing me discussing gym with another student, said "Mr. Panksy? Who is that?" with an incredulous look on his face and unsure if he should laugh or keep a straight face. I informed him that "No, the gym teachers name is not Mr. Panksy, it is Mr. Stepansky." I'm thankful that we can laugh together at times like this. (Quote of the Week #2)

2. I have a fantastic church family, with whom I packed 50 Thanksgiving boxes with on Saturday. What a blessing it was to not only fellowship together, but to serve our neighbors and give to those in physical need. Nothing like a box of food and a frozen turkey to put a smile on someone's face!

3. My friends are amazing! Who else throws a Extreme Home Makeover Party to celebrate a family in Camden NJ? Who else spends time in prayer for the family? And who else plays Pin the Megaphone on Ty? Check out the link below! This was quite a Sunday night! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xq_xpCs9jw

4. Thankful for political leadership in our neighborhood that looks like that might actually do something! Our neighborhood rep. has shown up on the streets knocking on doors, at community meetings, and has written legislation to propose college funding for more students in PA. Check out the post on PA House Bill 1722 for more info.

Happy Thanksgiving all! Thank you for your love, support, and prayers! I am encouraged by all of you! I miss you!