Saturday, November 7, 2009

Isn't it all about the journey?

I sat tonight reliving my college years, watching the Eastern women's team dominate DeSalles University in volleyball. They won the conference championship and I sat there thinking about my years playing, how at times now I wish I could be back in that moment. I wish at times that I could spend two hours each day practicing the game I love. I wish at times that I still had the opportunity to spend time with quality girls bonding in hotels and at tournaments. I wish that I still was under the wing of a few coaches and other mentors that were present during the college years.

Yet at the same time I sat there thinking those things I remembered that there is a season for everything...and that maybe it isn't so much about me wanting to relive those years as I want to relive those years and enjoy them for what they are. Rather than get so frustrated at times because of circumstances, always wanting more yet never able to really rest in the moment and accept it for what it was. Hindsight is always 20-20 right? Looking back I think I would be able to "relive" those years because of the perspective I have gained years later.

I want to relive those years because I want to live them embracing the hard work that it entails, to understand that while high expectations are for all, results are not always the same on the court. But working towards those high expectations is what matters, and what brings out the most in each individual. In turn, each person yields something unique and entirely necessary to the heart of a team.

So now I sit here contemplating life in this very moment.

How am I living it?

Am I walking with an awareness of the journey, embracing each step along the way? Recognizing suffering for what it is, searching for the lessons that God is teaching me, and seeking to honor Him along the way?

If I had to take a stab at it, I would say no. But although it isn't a new year...can this be my new "resolution?" After all, we never know what tomorrow brings, and as one of my first crew disciplers always said, "Wherever you are, be all there."